POMEROY – Once again Community Lenten Services will be held across the county as area Christians prepare for Easter.
The tradition of area Christian churches coming together for Lenten services continues this year. Each year through the season of Lent, the community services cross denominations as congregations come together in preparation for Easter.
“The service is not only a great way to start the Lenten season, but it’s a great way to come together across denominational lines and fellowship as one church,” Pastor Randy Smith said. Smith will be one of the speakers during one of the services.
Every Community Lenten Service will start at 7 p.m. In addition, each host church will provide a light supper starting at 6 p.m.
The Lenten season refers to a time when many Christians observe a period of fasting, repentance, moderation, self-denial and spiritual discipline. The purpose is for believers to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ including his suffering, sacrifice, life, death, burial and resurrection as they come into Easter.
Any and all offerings during the Community Lenten Services will go towards the Meigs Ministerial Association in helping us with our various ministries.
The Community Lenten Service Schedule for 2017 is as follows:
- Thursday, March 9, 2017– Riverside Nazarene to host and Brenda Barnhart to speak.
- Thursday, March 16, 2017- Mount Hermon to host and Walt Goble to speak.
- Thursday, March 23, 2017– Restoration Fellowship to host and Daniel Fulton to speak.
- Thursday, March 30, 2017- New Beginnings to host and Randy Smith to speak.
- Thursday, April 6, 2017- St. Paul Lutheran (Pomeroy) to host and Adam Will to speak.