18-Year-Old Discovered Shot and Bound in Greater Grand Crossing

An 18-year-old was found shot and bound in a South Side apartment Tuesday night after his mother received a phone call from someone in Venezuela who said he had been kidnapped and told her where to find him, according to Chicago police. Officers doing a welfare check found the teen’s body, and he was pronounced dead on the scene. Area One investigators have launched a homicide inquiry into the killing.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, officers discovered the body at 9 p.m. on Tuesday inside an apartment in the 6800 block of South Perry Avenue. He had gunshot wounds in his chest and leg and was lying face down in a bathtub with his wrists tied behind his back. Investigators found three nine-millimeter bullet casings beside the body. Police say the caller informed the victim’s mother that the youngster had been taken at 3 p.m. Monday near a basketball court in the 7100 block of South King Drive. The victim’s identity remains unknown, and no charges have been made, according to the Sun-Times.

This year, Greater Grand Crossing has experienced a number of violent and emergency occurrences, and local press has documented a continual stream of reactions that have left people pleading for more resources. Community leaders warn that neighborhood fires, seizures, and gunshots have put a burden on local services. Neighbors and advocates have urged city officials to expedite investigations and increase funding for violence-prevention initiatives.

No suspect information or suspected motives have been provided, and authorities say the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Bureau of Detectives, Area One at 312-747-8380 or send an anonymous tip at CPDTIP.com. The Chicago Police Department uses that number for Area One investigations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *